Emeryville Amy

This blog will be a combination of my favorite places in the Bay Area and abroad, memoirs, recipes, restaurant reviews and travel experiences.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Emeryville, San Francisco Bay Area, CA, United States

Thursday, October 06, 2005

COVERED BRIDGES AND WATERFALLS







I am a bit behind in my journaling at this point. I haven't had a chance to write about some of my other experiences in Montreal or of my time in Quebec. Hopefully I will be able to catch up soon. Here is an entry about one of my days in Vermont.

COVERED BRIDGES AND WATERFALLS

I spent the day following a driving route starting at my Bed and Breakfast in Waterbury, Vermont (home of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream) and by the grace of God, ending there as well, 7 hours later, with just enough light left in the sky for me to see the road.

It was supposed to be a 3 hour tour. But we all know that "3 Hour Tours" rarely last 3 hours only. In all fairness to the creator of the tour guide, it did say that that was the DRIVING time, not how long it would take to really do it if you want to get out of the car and walk around and take in all of the gorgeous scenery. I would highly recommend this loop through Vermont but make sure you have plenty of time, film (or batteries and memory card) and a navigator or GPS.

It might have taken me a wee bit longer because I missed a lot of turns and had to backtrack to the correct road. But, it is difficult to read directions from a piece of paper while driving on winding country roads. AND as I found out later, there are more unpaved roads than paved ones in Vermont. (The locals like it that way, in fact they don't really want any of them paved.) So I would drive right past a "road" not realizing that it was a ROAD and not just a wide foot path. "Towns" also might just be a gas station and one other building. That through me for a loop a couple of times. One needs a different mindset to survive around here.

I was a little disappointed when I arrived in Vermont yesterday morning. I had heard that the leaves were late in changing this year because the weather has been so warm, but I was really hoping that they would change overnight just for me. So yesterday I was underwhelmed. I had picture perfect images in my head of what it was going to look and feel like and it didn't quite hit the mark. I think that that is what I get for seeing movies which always show the perfect days of autumn in New England. In reality you have about a 2 week window when it hits its peak and if you miss it you are out of luck. And Mother Nature doesn't always perform her wonders according to the calendar.

When I woke up this morning it seems that my wish was granted, at least somewhat, overnight. It was amazing the difference in color today. Trees in California just don't change that quickly, rather it seems like it takes them months to change color, if they are inclined to do so. It still will be another week until they are at their peak, but I am not going to complain, at least about this, anymore.

The roads wound through lovely hills and forests (over hill and over dale) and in and out of picturesque little towns of quaint white churches with steeples pointing skyward and general stores, inns, restaurants and boutique craft shops. Most of the towns had some beautiful brick buildings and seemed pretty similiar to one another unless they had a college or university or some other unique business to distinguish them from the others. I found myself wondering how long I could be in one of those towns before I got stir crazy. Coming from Berkeley and growing up in LA makes living in places like these somewhat unimaginable. They all look quite idyllic but probably not for me in the long run, though I can see how the locals feel that this is the best place on earth. Between the mountains and trees and rivers and snow in the winter there is so much natural beauty to bask in. Although I enjoyed the day very much, I didn't have any thoughts of wanting to move out here. My friends and family at home can rest in peace that I haven't been anywhere that I have wanted to move to yet.

The drive took me through a bunch of covered bridges and to several waterfalls. My favorite waterfalls was called Texas Falls. The water poured down through a short narrow gorge and coursed over boulders and rocks. There were paths alongside the river under the canopy of golden and green leaves which were gently falling in the breeze. It wasn't a huge waterfall (especially after I have seen the ones in Yosemite at the height of their flow this spring) but it was very tranquil and harmonious. There were only a few people wandering the paths and I felt like I was able to just be in the moment. I wish that I could have stayed there longer but it was getting late and I didn't want to try to navigate these roads in the dark. All in all, a very nice day.

Just a side note, one of the best things that I have had to eat here was a homemade raspberry-oatmeal bar which I bought at a gas station. Yes, a gas station. In many of the little markets at the gas stations there is a nice variety of gourmet local products and very good sandwich delis and some homemade treats. You can still by packaged junk like chips and candy or you can get some really good, simple local food.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are You Ready for Web 2.0?
No one may be able to agree on what Web 2.0 means, but the idea of a new, more collaborative internet is creating buzz reminiscent of the go-go days of the late 1990s.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I've spent a very pleasant morning reading through several of your entries and enjoying your WONDERFUL photos. Your writings are so enjoyable and it's fun to be with you vicariously. Hey, just a tip for your writings and photos, you may want to place a little copyright symbol and the year and a copyright statement with them so nobody can lift your work or images and use them elsewhere without your permission (at least legally ;^) ). Hope your east coast adventures are super. Lots of love,
-Kim K.

10:09 AM  
Blogger M said...

Amy, Matt Easton here and I CANNOT believe it... I was in Vermont the day after you were and didn't know it! Lovely pix... you can see mine over on http://leafloose.blogspot.com

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home